Monday, October 29, 2007

I prefer my own ... mostly

I go back and forth on my opinions about plastic surgery. In some ways, its an important medical field that can really change the lives of accident victims and cancer patients. But I hear India Arie singing "Video" in my head.

"Don't need your silicon, I prefer my own — What God gave me is just fine." I love her message and always sing that line louder than all the rest. I am against superficial plastic surgery to take something that is "just fine" and make it fake and unreal. But I also know that there are people who look in the mirror and hate what they see every day of their lives. Some are born with huge blotchy birthmarks or with moles they find unattractive. No matter how many times I sang "What God gave me is just fine," I was still horribly self-conscious of the raised mole on my belly button throughout my pregnancy. My sister-in-law wanted to take some belly shots of me and I wouldn't let her (unless I had my hand over my belly-button) because I hated that mole so much. Now I feel like I've missed out on an important time that I'll never get back.

I know that there are women who feel this way about various parts of their bodies, like their noses for instance. (Trust me, I'm Jewish, I know.) And sometimes it doesn't seem like the worst thing to get a little confidence boost if it really makes that much of a difference in how you feel about yourself.

I can't help but think that if I were to get that mole taken care of before it was time to get pregnant again, I'd be a lot happier. It's a little disappointing that I can't really go to this place though. Plastic Surgery UK because if I'm going to do something scary to my body, it might as well be done by people with a good reputation for knowing what they're doing. Maybe they'll open an American branch sometime soon ...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I have two awards for you :0)

enjoy your day!
cs