Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Find out what it means to me

I absolutely hate it when I'm in a professional situation, like on the phone with someone at work, and they call me "dear" or "honey." From elderly gentlemen, I can be somewhat forgiving, as that sort of thing was the polite thing to do in their day. I don't fault them for not knowing that things have changed since then. But when its a younger guy, in his early 30s? Where the hell did he grow up thinking its OK to call a woman you only have a professional relationship with that you haven't even met "dear?" I mean, its 2007! How about a little respect? It makes me angry to no end.

Some of the other young women who work here have trouble with this too, and they all just don't say anything and then bitch about it when they get off the phone. I hate that. I don't want to be fake like that. If somebody bothers me, I like to say something about it. But is it even worth it with someone that you only talk to for like five minutes once or twice a month? And how would you even go about saying something anyway? "Excuse me, but I'm not your 'honey' "? Nope, that's not going to work.

Whatever. I'm sure this is why no one does anything about it. Nobody ever died from being called "hon" a few times.

No comments: