Friday, August 24, 2007

I am NOT a mother hen. I'm not I'm not I'm not!

Right now, at this very moment, my almost-13-year-old cousin is watching my not-yet-2-year-old son. Actually, he'll turn 2 a month after she's 13, but those few months make a much larger difference in his life than in hers. Anyway, my husband has a doctors appointment and I was originally planning to come home early, but since she was already here, we figured I could stay and get some work done and she could have a trial run before her big gig tomorrow. (She's baby-sitting while we go out for our fifth anniversary.)

I left my cell phone with her. I showed her how to call me at work. I made her repeat the ext. number back to me like 20 times. Which is silly, because its 123, and anyone can remember that. Except that sometimes people still forget. They remember that it was easy, but was it 111 or 123 or 321?

Deep breath.

It's an hour. She'll be fine. They'll be fine. Our house is almost 100 percent baby-proof. They'll just play with toys. Nothing will burn down. No one will need to call 911. There's no reason to call her and check in. Right? RIGHT?!?!?!?!?

No comments: