Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Not as TMI as it sounds

I have a huge hickey on my left boob, but I swear, it's not what you think. Nothing scandalous, I swear. In fact, its not even what you think after you stop for a minute and go," OH, I know what it is."

I bet you're thinking that it's from nursing Ben while we were both on sleeping drugs. Like maybe he latched wrong because he was sleepy and I didn't correct him because I was sleepy. And that would make a lot of sense, expect for the part where it just wasn't what happened. I got the hickey on my lunch break yesterday. How? I have no idea. You'd think I'd notice if he was really sucking on the side of my boob instead of being centered on the nipple. That's usually a recipe for pain. And you'd think that HE would notice that he was sucking on flesh (where there are no holes for milk to come out) instead of actually nursing ... but I guess not. All I know is that when I went to switch him sides yesterday, there it was. I said, "Mama side ouchie!" and he said "Sorry" and gave it a gentle kiss.

My husband told me I shouldn't have done that since it wasn't really his fault, but I want him to learn some empathy here, and will jump at any opportunity I get to teach him the concept. I know I'm not starting to wean yet, but I think the whole thing will go much smoother if he already understands the idea that sometimes nursing can hurt Mama and that we need to be respectful of people if our actions are causing them pain.

You know, or "Mama side ouchie. Kissie? Love Mama. Otherside!!!!!"

No comments: