Sunday, November 11, 2007

Buried in bills

I thought for sure we'd be able to survive until January because November is a three paycheck month and we've got plenty of gifts not only already purchased, but even already paid for. But that was before the mail came yesterday and we have not one, but TWO huge bills. One was for getting Stephen's "suspicious" mole removed, which was $400. Guess how much insurance paid? Go on, guess. That's right — $0. Why do we have insurance again?

The other was the last dental bill from all the work I had done last summer. That one was $800, and $300 was covered by insurance. Why just $300? Well, obviously because I've already maxed out all the benefits I can get for this whole year. Horray.

So, I guess all that money I was thrilled about making the other day will just get thrown into bills. And we'll probably still have to make payments on them. Why not? We're making payments on everything else ...

4 comments:

Jessi said...

I'm sorry. That sucks. If I were you, I'd fight the no payment for the mole because that's BS.

*kate said...

Booo. I'd fight the no payment for the mole, too. Most insurances won't cover it if it's cosmetic, but if the doctor thought it was suspicious, it should be covered.

OR, Could it just be that insurance hasn't paid it? We always get doctor bills and never pay them until they are about 90 days past due. Often, the doctor will send you a bill before the insurance pays for it. My insurance company actually advised that we wait until bill's are past due before paying.

thesynergizer said...

it was submitted and rejected, but i don't know whether it doesn't qualify or it just goes under our deductable because Stephen's is separate than mine (and Ben's) I can't remember if we have a family deductable or individual ones ... i guess i should look though, huh? if it's individual, then that's why its not being paid. i'm pretty sure our deductables are like $500 each. lame-o.

Jessi said...

My insurance is a family deductible. I don't think it matters how much each person spends. Not that it matters, since Jerry's not on it. But someday...
Also, do you have a Health Care Savings Account? I totally recommend them.