Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tourist alert

I absolutely love to travel and I loved the time we spent in New York. We went to the The Metropolitan Museum (and spent several hours there, hypnotized by the beautiful and intriguing artwork) and to Bloomingdales (I got socks because its all I could afford, but I still wear them and think "These are my New York socks, yay!") and out to eat a lot. We wanted to go to the Statue of Liberty but there just wasn't enough time. We settled for looking at it from the mainland. As for the Empire State building, well, I think we might have seen it from the cab! There was so much to see, but it was all so expensive and we were only there for a whirlwind 24 hours.

I know that if I ever get a chance to go back, I'm going to insist that we take our time and actually see the sights. In fact, I'm going to insist that we each get a New York CityPass. They are $65 for adults and $49 for youths age 12-17. I'm assuming that maybe kids are free? The site had some tips for dealing with kids' short attention spans when it comes to museum viewing and such, so obviously its not that they aren't letting you bring them. Anyway, the pass gives you admission to The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the new Greek and Roman galleries, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), Guggenheim Museum and the American Museum of Natural History. And you get to go to the top of the Empire State Building and see the observatory and take a Circle Line Sightseeing Cruise. Wow. All this would cost $130 if the tickets were purchased individually. The winter special is good from Dec. 15 to March 15. If you live within day-trip distance of the city, the deal is even better, because you really have the whole three months to use up the six tickets. Seems a little more peaceful than cramming it all into one jam-packed vacation.

No comments: